Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dengue

Since September 10th, I developed symptoms of a strong flu. At first, since I had no runny nose nor sore throat I suspected malaria. I went to the Uruguayan clinic on the 11th and was told that was a flu with a possible urinary infection for which antibiotics were given to me. The next day (12th) at night I was so sick I really thought my last hour had come. Huge head ache, with pain in all joints, the spine and the back of the neck as well as the back of the eyes. I was going from fever with profuse sweating to shivering with the feeling of not being able to warm up, vomiting & diarrhea. To memory, that was the worst lousy state I never experienced before. I returned to the Uruguayan clinic that night where a quick malaria test was performed which revealed to be negative. The Uruguayan doctor gave me a shot in order to stop the vomiting and the diarrhea which could lead to dehydration if not looked after properly. The doctor came up with the diagnostic that I was probably suffering from dengue fever. The 13th I felt a little better but I was feeling still very weak with no appetite and difficulties to have a decent sleep. The 14th, 2 Americans UNPOLs had similar symptoms therefore decision was made to drive us to the Port-a-Prince Argentinian clinic (6 hours car ride when sick with 5 people in the vehicle was not fun at all) Once at the Argentinian hospital, some testing were conducted (urine, blood, X-ray...) and the doctors came up with the same diagnostic for the 3 of us: Dengue. However, the 2 American showed much lighter symptoms and were released from hospital the next day. For me, the adventure only began. On the 15th, my pulse was very weak and my heart rate dropped below the 30 bpm. From that moment on I was asked to lay down in bed and not to get up under any circumstances even for a bathroom break. I was booked on the 16th for the UN airplane to the Santo Domingo hospital since the Argentinian hospital was limited in term of technology to ensure proper follow up and care. On the 16th in the afternoon I was taken by ambulance to the airplane and taken to the Santo Domingo hospital all strapped down to my bed even during the flight. When I arrived to Santo Domingo I was taken directly to the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) where I was given an IV in my right arm, another IV in my left arm and hooked up to a cardiogram 24/day. Remember, I'm still laying down in bed without the right to stand up. All bathroom breaks are from the bed and the shower consisted of disposable wet towels. I was given 150ml liquid by IV per hour which makes 3600 ml of liquid per 24 hour period. My best buddy was this plastic bottle I used to urinate every few hours. By the 17th I was already feeling much better but the doctors were still concern about my heart rate. I tried to explain to them that my regular heart rate was low anyway but they kept me in the ICU unit. I remained in ICU until midday of the 19th, then was transferred to a lower level. I was still given IV and monitored but not as closely as before. And that night of the 19th I was given the right to take a shower. After 5 days laying down in bed I was finally given the right to walk few meters to go for a shower, it was Christmas. I felt my legs so weak under my buddy, I had to take small steps to keep my balance. After a much needed shower I returned to my bed. I was told earlier by the doctor in charge that I could be released from hospital possibly the next day (20th) to return to Port-au-Prince where I should rest and eat well in order to get back in shape. And as told the 20th at 15:00 hrs I was given permission to get dressed and to prepare myself to go back to Port-au-Prince with the 18:00 hrs UN flight. Once landed in Port-au-Prince, I was taken to the Canadian House where I was given a meal and a bed and was told that I will have to rest for few days before even talking to return to work. So here I am, resting and enjoying being able to walk freely. This little adventure made me realize how vulnerable we are but also how lonely one can be when away from home, family and friends in difficult times. Fortunately, the Canadian solidarity I experienced while in hospital through the top of the chain of command of the Canadian contingent, my colleagues, the liaison officers, the nurse back in Canada and all the kind words from people aware of my situation kept me going without loosing hope at any time. Am I proud to be Canadian? Oh yes more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment