Saturday, October 12, 2013

My backyard

Today for the first time I went to take a peek in my backyard. The house where we stay is somehow build in 2 parts; the front which is finished and where we live and the back which has one unfinished apartment on the top floor and maybe 5 rooms similar to mine unfinished as well on the lower floor. It is a mess to get through all the wires and piles of rubbish but today I decided to take the challenge and here what I saw through the window's opening: That is not the prettiest view we could wish for when in the Caribbean but Haiti has a population of over 10 millions souls on a land of almost 28.000 km2 (Vancouver island is 31.000km2). Haiti is also mountainous ("Ayiti" as per the indigenous Taíno name for the island means land of high mountains), therefore wherever they are able to build they have to squeeze. And I doubt the city hall here requires much permit and inspection when someone decide to build a house :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment