Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Time to go to school

Last week I started my shift at 08:00 and when I arrived at the commissariat a young boy that I have seen before came and asked me if he could polish my boots for a little money. Seeing so many kids in the morning going to school I asked him why he wasn't going? He told me that he did not have the money to pay for it. So naturally I asked him how much he needed but he was not sure. He told me that he needed books and to pay for the school. Being a father I was not feeling well to see this young boy polishing boots while he could be at school learning something that would help him improving his condition and in the future his country. The next day I was working night shift so I told the boy to wait for me here at 09:00 tomorrow and we would go to the school together and find out was he needed. Next day at 09:00 the boy was waiting for me so we got going and walked together through the streets with people looking at us a little puzzled for the least to say. It took us about 20 minutes to get to the school but we made it. I met the principal, a very nice lady who told me that she knew the boy. His name is Joseph, he is 14 (born in 1999 but day and month unknown)and he will go the the 4th grade. The registration fee for the school had already been paid for him a while ago by another UNPOL but he needed to pay for his books and the monthly fees. I told her that I was here to pay for the books and for the whole year of school (once Joseph assured me that he would attend). Once that was done I told the principal that I would give her a call every now and then to confirm that Joseph was attending the school. She was happy that I would follow up with her and encourage the boy to go to school. On the way back I talked to Joseph and told him that if he shows me that he is really willing to seriously attend school I had no problem to pay for books and fees for the following years, however if he drops it I would not waste any more time with him. I bought him some sugar cane from a merchant on the side of the road and we returned to the commissariat. There are so many kids who need help here, of course I can't help them all but if I can help a few of them to get a better life for themselves so I'll do my best with what I have. Being part of a mission like MINUSTAH is a wonderful experience but we are part of a huge organization which does not really give a personal satisfaction of accomplishment since we are here only for a year. It's like working on a huge puzzle but you know that you'll never see the full picture while you are there. On the other hand, an individual action like the one with Joseph (as little as it is) gave me an instant feeling of accomplishing something. I came here to help and I want to return home knowing that I did.

2 comments:

  1. that's great brother... well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Edwin. Next step will be the orphanage. I'll try to collect as much money as possible in November when I'll be in Canada to help these kids.

      Delete